Nov. 19, 2020 — As COVID-19 case counts and hospitalizations of proceed to speed up within the U.S., the CDC on Thursday bluntly suggested Individuals to not journey for the Thanksgiving vacation.
“Amid this vital section, the CDC is recommending towards journey in the course of the Thanksgiving interval,” stated Henry Walke, MD, COVID-19 incident supervisor, on a name with reporters.
Walke stated all types of journey are dangerous.
“What we’re involved about is just not solely the precise mode of journey — whether or not it’s an airplane or bus or automotive — but additionally the transportation hubs we’re involved about, as nicely.”
Standing in line to get on airplane, bus, or prepare makes it more durable to maintain house between your self and different individuals.
With circumstances already climbing at alarming charges, CDC officers stated they had been involved that the vacations might additional drive up circumstances and deaths, notably for older members of the family.
“The most secure approach to have fun Thanksgiving this yr is at house with members of your family,” stated Erin Sauber-Schatz, PhD, head of the CDC’s Neighborhood Interventions and demanding Populations Activity Power, in line with TheNew York Instances.
The company launched up to date Thanksgiving steering as nicely, that strengthens its earlier warnings in regards to the upcoming vacation.
“Gatherings with household and buddies who don’t reside with you’ll be able to enhance the probabilities of getting or spreading COVID-19 or the flu,” the steering says. “Journey might enhance your likelihood of getting and spreading COVID-19. Suspending journey and staying house is the easiest way to guard your self and others this yr.”
If you happen to’re nonetheless contemplating touring or gathering with different individuals, the CDC suggests answering these questions first:
- Are you, somebody in your family, or somebody you’ll be visiting at elevated threat for getting very sick from COVID-19?
- Are circumstances excessive or rising in your group or your vacation spot? Examine the CDC’s COVID Information Tracker for the newest variety of circumstances.
- Are hospitals in your group or your vacation spot overwhelmed with sufferers who’ve COVID-19? To search out out, examine state and native public well being division web sites.
- Does your private home or vacation spot have necessities or restrictions for vacationers? Examine state and native necessities earlier than you journey.
- Through the 14 days earlier than your journey, have you ever or these you’re visiting had shut contact with individuals they don’t reside with?
- Do your plans embody touring by bus, prepare, or air, which could make staying 6 toes aside troublesome?
- Are you touring with individuals who don’t reside with you?
If you happen to answered “sure” to any of those questions, the CDC suggests making different plans: Keep house, host a “digital” Thanksgiving, or postpone it till one other time.